Friday, October 21, 2016

Ecuador: A Food Guide | SFATW

Hello, everyone!

Today I’m sharing with you my second post for Marie’s feature: Souvenirs From Across The World.

As you may have read in the title, this post will be all about Ecuadorian food! I’ll be separating this post in four categories: breakfast, main dishes, desserts, and drinks.

BREAKFAST


Bolón de verde con queso y/o chicharrón: this is made with fried and mashed green plantains, and you can add cheese or fried pork chops or both! There’s also a variation that’s made with ripe plantains, and it’s softer and sweeter, and I like it more than when it’s made with green plantains.

Humitas: they’re made with blended corn, butter, and eggs and it can be filled with a string of cheese. Usually, humitas from the Coast are salty, and humitas from the Highland are sweet.

Tigrillo: made with boiled and mashed green plantains, mixed with cheese, finely chopped onions, and you could also add chopped tomatoes and fried pork chops. Tigrillo is usually served with fried eggs and steak.

Encebollado: I’m not a fan of it, but it’s a typical breakfast here in the Coast. It’s kind of like a soup made with albacore fish, onions, and boiled cassavas. It’s usually with chifles (green plantain chips), popcorn, or bread as side dishes.


MAIN DISHES


Churrasco: it’s grilled steak served with plain rice, fried eggs, French fries, and some people also like to add tomato and lettuce. The thing with the fried eggs for this dish is that they should be over-easy, so that the yolk would be easily mixed with the rice.

Locro de papa: this dish is mostly eaten in the Highland because it helps you get warm. It’s a potato and cheese thick soup, usually served with hard boiled eggs and avocado.

Menestra con carne/pollo: this is a typical lunch and dinner from the Coast of Ecuador. It is a bean or lentil stew accompanied with fried or breaded meat or chicken fillets, and plain rice. You could also serve it with patacones (fried green plantains) as a side dish.

Fritada: probably my favorite from the ones I’ve mentioned in this section. The main characters of this dish are the fried pork chops, and they’re usually served with llapingacho (fried potato cakes), maduro frito (fried ripe plantains), corn on the cob, mote (boiled corn kernels), and a spoonful of pickled onions.


DESSERTS


Arroz con leche: my favorite Ecuadorian dessert! It’s made of rice cooked in milk, with raisins and cinnamon sticks (that you remove once you’re serving). You can eat it hot or cold, and it’s delicious either way! Although I prefer it cold, and with ground cinnamon on top.

Dulce de higos: this dessert is just figs cooked with panela (whole cane sugar) or honey, and you could also add cinnamon sticks and cloves for a stronger flavor. Dulce de higos is usually served with quesillo (small fresh cheese) or queso fresco (soft and unaged white cheese).

Espumilla: it’s a typical Ecuadorian dessert. It’s very similar to meringue consistency-wise, and it’s made with guava pulp, egg whites, and sugar. There are also variations of the traditional guava espumilla, which are prepared with different fruits like blackberries or strawberries.

Come y bebe: also known as ensalada de frutas. It’s a refreshing fruit salad made with papaya, bananas, pineapple, and orange juice. You can also add cherries, peaches, and white grapes.


DRINKS


Fresh fruit juices: Ecuador is well-known for having a wide range of fruits, thanks to our tropical weather, and it’s very common for us to drink fresh fruit juices during lunch time, or at any time really. Some of the most common juices are: lemonade, naranjilla juice, tomate de árbol (tamarillo) juice, watermelon juice, orange juice, and mango juice.

Colada de avena: it’s a refreshing and filling drink made with oatmeal, naranjilla, and panela. It can be served at breakfast, lunch, or as a mid-morning drink for both children and adults.

Canelazo: this is a typical drink form the Highland and it’s mostly used to warm oneself in extremely cold weathers. It’s a cocktail made with aguardiente (hard liquor) and cinnamon.

Colada morada: this is a traditional drink that’s served around and during the Day of the Dead holiday. It’s prepared with purple or black corn flour, naranjilla, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, cinnamon, cloves and other spices, and water. Colada morada is usually served with guaguas de pan, which are children-shaped breads.


And now I’m hungry *laughs*

That’s it for today’s post! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

What’s your favorite food from your country?

Lots of Love,

Salha

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, and SO many colorful dishes, I love it! Obviously I'm a huge desserts fan, so I have to fall in love with all of these, especially the Espumilla, I'd love to try that someday! :) Also, Colada morada looks SO pretty and I feel like I would LOVE that. You made me SO hungry with this haha. Thank you so much for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd LOVE Colada Morada! It's delicious! Right now, restaurants are already starting to sell it, and my grandma will be making some this weekend and I'll go help her :)

      Thank you so much for reading! And thanks again for creating this wonderful feature!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love these dishes! They have almost all the things in there that I love most. Avocados, rice, fried stuff, lots of CINNAMON ;)...rice boiled in milk!! I make it when I'm hungry as well with lots of ground cinnamon on top and some brown sugar. Yumyum!
    I'm also very intrigued with the Espumilla. Is it like Italian semi-freddo? I tried to make that myself once and failed miserably at it.

    Plantains are like special bananas right? Lovely post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love the most about rice boiled in milk is that you can eat it hot to warm yourself during cold weathers, or cold to refresh yourself during hot afternoons. And with lots of ground cinnamon, of course!

      From what I read, Italian semi-freddo is a cold dessert, you put it in the freezer. Espumilla is not like that. You eat it at room temperature and its texture resembles that of whipped cream. It's actually very simple to make :). I'll ask my grandma for the recipe and I'll share it with you, if you'd like to try it out!

      You could say that plantains are "cousins" to the normal bananas. Green plantains contain more starch than normal bananas and they aren't sweet. And they're also extremely hard to peel off! You have to use a knife for it. Mature plantains, on the other hand, are sweeter and can be peeled off just like normal bananas.

      Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete