Friday, September 23, 2016

What I Love About Ecuador | SFATW


Hello, everyone!

So today we’re joining Marie’s feature: Souvenirs from Across the World.

For those who don’t know what SFATW is about, here’s a short description:

SFATW is a feature created to get to know each other a bit better, especially where we are all from, share a bit of our countries, cities, cultures, traditions, writers, authors. The main goal of Souvenirs From Across The World is to create a link between all bloggers, from everywhere, and to share a bit of the diversity that makes everyone unique on the blogosphere.

Today I’ll be talking about my favorite things from my country: Ecuador.

THE HIGHLAND
Top left: Cotopaxi volcano, the biggest active volcano of the world.
Bottom left: the city of Cuenca, my favorite city of the Highland.
Right, from top to bottom: Picture taken on the road to Alausí; Quilotoa lake, which is a water-filled caldera; and the Andean Condor, Ecuador's national symbol.




I live in the Coast of Ecuador but, ironically, I’m not a huge fan of hot and humid weather. That’s why I love going to the Highland (aka La Sierra). Even though I always get a bit of altitude sickness.

My favorite things about the Highland are the weather, the gorgeous landscapes, the food, the unique flora and fauna, and the cultural significance this region has due to the many native Indian craft markets and the modern and thriving colonial cities.

Some of my family members from my mom’s side are from the Highland and reside there, so we get to visit them from time to time.

THE FOOD
Left, from top to bottom: guava sweets from Baños; bolón de verde con queso y chicharrón; patacones con queso.
Top right: guaguas de pan y colada morada.
Bottom right: fritada con llapingachos.

I love some of my country’s typical dishes! Most of my favorites are from the Highland, because the Coast’s typical dishes are mainly based on seafood and I don’t really like it.

Some of my favorite dishes are fritada con llapingacho (fried pork chops with fried potato cakes), bolón de verde con queso y chicharrón (a ball of fried and mashed green plantains with cheese and fried pork chops), patacones and maduros con queso (fried green plantains and fried sweet ripe plantains with cheese), hornado (roasted pig), mote pillo (cooked corn with scrambled eggs), guaguas de pan y colada morada (guagua means child, so these are child-shaped breads, and colada morada is a traditional drink made with black corn flour and fruits), and I think that’s about it. I also like these guava sweets that you can find in the city of Baños.

There’s also this dish that has sausages, llapingachos with salty peanut butter, a fried egg, and avocado, but I don’t know its name.

THE BIODIVERSITY
Top left: a hummingbird.
Bottom left: humpback whales can be seen from Puerto López, in Manabí.
Right, from top to bottom: a purple jacaranda tree, one of my favorites; a squirell monkey; orchids.

This is what Ecuador is most known for: its biodiversity.

We have four regions: the Coast, the Highlands, the Amazonia, and the Galapagos Islands, and each one of them has its very unique weather. This allows thousands of different species to reproduce.

Ecuador has 1600 bird species and 38 more endemic in the Galapagos Islands, 106 endemic reptiles, 138 endemic amphibians, 6000 species of butterfly, and over 16000 species of plants.


And that’s it for today’s post! Don’t forget to check out the Souvenirs from Across theWorld feature on Marie’s blog!

What do you like the most about your city/country?

Lots of Love,


Salha

5 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post, and these pictures are GORGEOUS <3 I don't know much about this country, but it seems so beautiful, and I love the diversity of landscapes. All of this FOOD as well, it makes me hungry just thinking about it, ahah. I love animals, and I think I would fall in love with your place, if I ever get the chance to come there. :)
    Thank you so, so much for your contribution to my little feature! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for creating this wonderful feature!

      It would be great if you get the chance to visit Ecuador somewhere in the future. You'll get to experience the culture by yourself and you'll also get to admire the landscapes and taste the food.

      If you ever get the chance, feel free to let me know. I could give you a tour around my city :)

      Delete
  2. OMG We REALLY should meet sometime! And go to Café de Tere <3 I OBVIOUSLY mentioned patacones and bolones in my post too because anyone who doesn't like verde is NUTS. I could have gone on and on about our food though! I will definitely will be adding Fritada and Arroz con Menestra to the food post in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should! Seems like a good idea :)
      I can't wait for the food post in October, either! I'll definitely be adding empanadas de viento and humitas, and I'm thinking about sharing a recipe as well! That post is going to be fun to write, for sure,

      Delete
  3. I loved this blog post and getting the chance to learn more about Ecuador! I had no idea how diverse the landscapes are; I love the Highland's mountains! The food you described sounds mouthwatering, especially fritada con llapingacho! Ecuador's biodiversity is amazing, as well. I hope one day I get to see your country's beauty in person!

    ReplyDelete