Monday, September 26, 2016

Peñíscola, Spain - 2016

Fish monument made of ceramic tiles, placed right in front of the sea.

Hello, everyone!

Back in April, my family and I went on a trip to Spain and, among the cities/towns we visited, was Peñíscola.

Peñíscola is a lovely town located along the Mediterranean coast, and it is locally knows as “The City in the Sea”.

View of the Castell del Papa Luna from the beach.

The town’s main attraction is the Castell del Papa Luna (Papa Luna’s Castle), which is located on the highest point of the town. It was used by Pope Benedict XIII of Avignon (known as Papa Luna) as his pontifical headquarters.

The Castell del Papa Luna is not only famous for its history, but also for being a filming location to some films and TV series. The film El Cid (directed by Anthony Mann in 1960) and some scenes of the 6th season of Game of Thrones were filmed in this Castle.



Actually, the premiere of the 6th season of GoT was held during the second night of our stay. So, while we were visiting the castle that day during the morning, there were people putting up banners and prepping the castle for the premiere ceremony.

During our stay in Peñíscola, I wasn’t feeling very well health-wise. I got food poisoning the morning we arrived to the town because of something I ate during breakfast in a hotel at Sant Cugat, so I couldn’t enjoy Peñíscola as much as I wanted to.

Peñíscola from the top of the Castle.

Luckily, the staff of the hotel we stayed in (Hotel RH Portocristo) was very kind to me and prepared me some special meals to help my tummy feel better, and they kept checking up on me asking if I was feeling any better or if I needed anything. I’m really grateful for that.

The warm weather, blue skies and sea breeze definitely helped me to feel better, and I was able to walk around the town for a bit.

A church located next to the Castell del Papa Luna.

On the right side: La Casa de las Conchas (the Seashells' House). This building has its whole facade covered with seashells.

Have you ever gotten sick or food poisoned during a trip?
How did you deal with that?

Lots of Love,


Salha

1 comment:

  1. *whispers* "Get ready for a -sick- pun, Salha."
    I hope you didn't get as sick as those photos you took because they are awesoooome!!!

    (Not to be harsh, fellow post readers, but if you're not following Salha's personal IG account ((or any of her social media accounts, really)), what are you doing with your lives? Honestly, so many cool photos. Sick feeds. (punpunpun)

    *continues dying over the photos*
    Like, shut the front door!!! The second and fifth photos are too cool *cries*

    I've never gotten sick or food poisoned during a trip, so I'm afraid I haven’t been blessed with the answers to those questions -yet- hahahaha but I do hope that during your future adventures, you’re feeling A+ the entire time.

    *waves hands goodbye*
    Take care!

    -Majo


    ReplyDelete