Tuesday, September 13, 2016

And Then There Were None | Book Review


Author: Agatha Christie
Genres: Mystery, Classics, Fiction
Rating: 4.5/5

DESCRIPTION
First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion.

REVIEW
“There was something magical about an island—the mere word suggested fantasy. You lost touch with the world—an island was a world of its own. A world, perhaps, from which you might never return.”

This is the first book by Agatha Christie that I read and let me tell you that I was gripped by the story since its very beginning.

We follow a group of ten people, who have all committed murder at some point in their lives. Some of the deaths were accidental, others were deliberate, but they all have something in common: each murder occurred in such a way that it can't be proven in a legal setting, and each death is the reason these ten people are brought to Soldier Island by a mysterious host: some U. N. Owen (later said to mean “unknown”).

As the story unfolds, we get to see the characters be killed by this “unknown” individual and their murders match those from the nursery rhyme “Ten Little Soldier Boys”, which hangs in each of the guests’ rooms. Miss Claythorne is the first to connect the guests’ deaths to the rhyme, and she also notices the funny coincidence that these “soldier boys” are being killed in Soldier Island.

I really loved the setting on the island, with no phone or transportation. Just think about it: getting stuck on an island with a mad man. That sounds pretty creepy! Imagine how the characters felt when they realized they were not leaving that island alive! At least General MacArthur made peace with this fact.

This book was brilliant. I think one of the things I loved the most from it was the suspense, it kept me on edge and I felt like I just couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. The plot was so clever, well-constructed, and the twists and turns baffled me in the best possible way.

And that epilogue! For someone who had no idea of who the maniac murderer was, the epilogue was like a slap on the face. How didn’t I see it!?

I just loved this book. I loved it. I’ll definitely read other books by this amazing author.

If you, like me, haven’t read any book by Agatha Christie yet, I really recommend you to pick this one first.

Ten little soldier boys went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were Nine.
Nine little soldier boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were Eight.
Eight little soldier boys traveling in Devon;
One said he’d stay there and then there were Seven.
Seven little soldier boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were Six.
Six little soldier boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were Five.
Five little soldier boys going in for law;
One got into chancery and then there were Four.
Four little soldier boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were Three.
Three little soldier boys walking in the Zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were Two.
Two little soldier boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was One.
One little soldier boy left all alone;
He went and hanged himself 
And then there were None.

—Frank Green, 1879

Lots of Love,


Salha

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this now! I love Agatha Cristies and this one sounds really interesting ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend you to read this book! If you're already a Christie's fan, then you'll love this one!

      Delete
  2. And Then There Were None should be recommended alongside a big, tall, *massive* glass of holy water because that rhyme is as creepy as the day is long... Someone please contact a priest ASAP. Perhaps some crackers on the side would be nice, don't you think?

    I'm glad you enjoyed the book as much as you did. I'll be looking forward to the upcoming book haul and more reviews like this!

    Take care,
    -Majo

    *waves hand goodbye*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit creepy, I'll give you that. But the book is not that scary! It's filled with mystery and suspense, yes, but it's not like you won't be able to sleep at night *laughs*. That's what Stephen King's books are for.

      And, yes! I'll be posting my book haul on Friday!

      Delete