Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Wuthering Heights | Book Review


Author: Emily Brontë
Genres: Classic, Gothic Novel
Rating: 4.5/5

DESCRIPTION
Published a year before her death at the age of thirty, Emily Brontë’s only novel is set in the wild, bleak Yorkshire Moors. Depicting the relationship of Cathy and Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights creates a world of its own, conceived with an instinct for poetry and for the dark depths of human psychology.

REVIEW

First, let me tell you that I like to read other people’s reviews before I read a book. So, as this is a custom of mine, I read some reviews on this book as well, and I encountered myself with so many negative reviews that I got a bit afraid of reading it, you know, in case it might get me into a slump. But it happened all the opposite.

I know the story is creepy, and that the characters are not so lovable, but I liked it. I sometimes even found it hard to put the book down.

The main characters, Heathcliff and Catherine, are monstrous and insensible. They do as they please with no regard of other people’s feelings or opinions. They are self-absorbed (even selfish, if you may), irrational, malicious, and every negative attribute you can think a person is capable of possessing. These two walking grenades happen to fall in love, and with their wicked sense of passion, they manage to destroy the lives of all around them: that of the Earnshaws, and the Lintons.

This novel is a love story after all. Not that sweet, mellow, full-of-roses-and-butterflies kind of love, but a twisted and destructive one. Love is a force that can unleash a beautiful rainbow as much as it could unleash a destructive hurricane.

But if you make it through this entire poisonous love story, all the way until the end, you’ll find yourself in a beautiful ambient at Wuthering Heights. Not without, obviously, being frightened to death by Heathcliff’s description in the last chapters… That almost left me without sleep on the night I finished it.

I loved this novel, and I might reread it the future. I admired Brontë’s masterful writing, and how she used shifts in time (through flashbacks) and different and not-so-reliable narrators to tell the story of these families.

The only thing that caused me a bit of trouble was Joseph’s dialect. I didn’t understand most of it! Luckily, there were some notes at the end of the Penguin Classics edition that helped me to decipher some of his sayings.

I don’t think there’s something else to be said about this novel, rather than it is perhaps one of the best books to ever be written.


Have you read Wuthering Heights? What do you think of it?

Lots of Love,

Salha

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book so bad! And your review made me want to read it even more ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a try!
      Let me know your thoughts on it once you read it :)

      Delete