Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Everything, Everything | Book Review


Author: Nicola Yoon
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 3/5

DESCRIPTION
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

REVIEW

This book is about a girl named Maddy, who suffers from Severe Combined Immunodeficiency, also known as “bubble baby disease”. Basically, she’s allergic to the world. She lives in a vacuum-sealed house alongside her mother and her nurse, Carla.

Everything seems to go as usual during her 18th birthday, until a moving truck arrived next door. And that’s when she sees Olly, a mysterious guy who wears all black.

I really liked the concept of this book. That was what called my attention at first, it was very unique. And I also liked the writing style; Nicola Yoon has such a wonderful way with words! Plus, I loved the short chapters and little inserts/pictures that were placed throughout the book, designed by Yoon’s husband. They definitely gave the book a fun and unique touch!

The connection between Maddy and Olly was adorable, but not really moving, and it was a bit too “insta-love” for my liking. Honestly, they fell in love way too quickly for me to believe it was real.

The whole book itself was kind of rushed, everything happened too quickly. This made me feel like nothing much was really happening and it didn’t allow me to properly connect with the characters. I think it would’ve been better if the book was a bit longer and the characters had more depth to them.

Then, the big “plot twist” wasn’t even a real plot twist. You could see it coming from miles away.

I did enjoy the book, though. It was such a quick and easy read, and that made it hard to put the book down. It was a great debut novel!

FAVORITE QUOTES
“Wanting just leads to more wanting.” 
“One thing doesn’t always lead to another.” 
“Just because you can’t experience everything doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experience anything.” 
“Life is a gift.” 
“You’re not living if you’re not regretting.” 
“Love is worth everything. Everything.”

Lots of Love,


Salha

*This book was sent to me via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this read because it was such a no brainer. Short and sweet, perfect for a one-sitting read. Nice review!

    Skylar | Skywriting

    ReplyDelete