Wednesday, March 9, 2016

If You Don't Know Me By Now | Book Review


Author: A. L. Michael
Genres: Chick Lit, Contemporary, Romance
Rating: 3/5

DESCRIPTION

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
Imogen has come to London to make it as a writer. At least, that was the plan. Finding herself in a dead-end job serving coffee to hipsters was not on her to-do list. And even if gorgeous colleague Declan does give her more of a buzz than a triple-shot cappuccino, Imogen can feel her dreams evaporating faster than the steam from an extra-hot latte.
Until her anonymous tell-all blog about London’s rudest customers goes viral – and suddenly, Imogen realises that landing the worst job in the world might just be the best thing that’s ever happened to her! As long as she can keep her identity to herself…

REVIEW

This book is about a twenty-something girl called Imogen who moves to London from a small town in the north of England. There, she starts working as a barista at a coffee shop while she trying to pursue her dream of becoming a writer career in the big city.

This book revolves around moving on, finding inspiration and motivation to fulfill your dreams, the lows of life, and how everything bad in life can turn into a good thing if you don't let yourself be stuck.

I began reading this book last year, but abandoned it as I felt I could be reading better books.

I decided to give it a second chance this year and I don’t really regret it because it was a fun book to read. It was filled with happenings of the real life, and actual expressions people our age use. It felt fresh. It felt real.

Imogen was a very relatable character, even if I'm not a barista. And, let’s admit it: we've all met or known people like her clients on our everyday life, because not only as a barista do you encounter that sort of people.

What I didn't really like was when Imogen was first falling for Declan. I really thought it unnecessary to describe Declan as a "bear man", or "very tanned, and built man" every 2 pages. Honestly, I just couldn’t stop myself from rolling my eyes every time those phrases popped up... Luckily, that kind of descriptions ceased out eventually.

So, after all the typical drama included in every Chick Lit ever (a.k.a breakups, secrets being revealed, and a “gorgeous Italian b**ch” that keeps trying to steal your boyfriend because, ya know, that always happens…), Imogen finds herself making her dreams come true, writing a column for a renowned newspaper, and working alongside her role model.

Although Chick Lit isn’t really my thing, I can say that I did enjoy reading this book and I recommend it to those Chick Lit fans that are looking for a fresh read.

Are you a Chick Lit fan?
What’s your favorite book of that genre?

Lots of Love,


Salha

*This book was sent to me via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment