Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Holiday Getaway


Hello, everyone!

I just came back from a 4-day weekend, because it was a national holiday here in Ecuador. I spent those days in Punta Carnero beach, with the family.

We arrived to the beach on Saturday, at lunchtime. We ate fish and some Japanese rice that my cousin’s wife had prepared. We also had some crab, but for Mary Jo (my 14 year-old cousin) and me, they were too spicy, so we only had one.

We spent a part of the afternoon playing card games, like Bullshit and this other game we made up in that moment. Then, my cousin and my brother got into the pool, which was only half full at the time, so they got out of it almost immediately.

The next morning we (dad, brother, Mary Jo, and I) woke up super early and had some toast to fill our stomachs until the rest of the people (my older cousin, his wife, and my cousin’s parents (who own the beach house)) got up, and then we had breakfast together.

After breakfast, we went to church and then we did some grocery-shopping. We went back to the house for lunch, and then Mary Jo and I baked a chocolate cake which didn’t come off easily from its mold, so my cousin’s wife helped us to fix it. We covered it with Chantilly, macerated strawberries, and chocolate chips. While we were at it, the men had gone to the dock to buy seafood from the fishermen.

My brother, cousin, and I went into the pool and played the pool version of hide and seek, and the old-fashioned game of Keep Away. We stayed in the pool for a couple of hours, until we had to get ready for the family gathering we were having that night.

That night we had a meat, chicken, and seafood BBQ, and my brother played the “dj” of the night. It was so fun! My cousins, brother, and I had a sing-along that included All of Me by John Legend, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran, Cheerleader by OMI, and we were also surprised by Mary Jo’s perfect rap of Hey Mama by David Guetta ft. Nicki Minaj… She knew all the lyrics!

The next morning, we woke up a bit late and had breakfast. Then, my dad, my brother, and Mary Jo went to La Chocolatera and La Lobería. I stayed in the house and did some reading. I also fed the pigeons and did a bit of homework.

Once they were back, my older cousin and I prepared a cocktail called Grasshopper, which we handed out to everyone, and we also served some snacks. Then, we had lunch: roasted chicken, rice with black beans, and a salad. For dessert, we had the leftovers from the chocolate cake, and some carrot cake too.

I really enjoyed this long weekend! I hope it lasted a little longer! Now I have to get ready to go back to college…

How did you spend your weekend?

Lots of Love,


- Salha -

No comments:

Post a Comment