Monday, September 21, 2015

Failing a Class in College


Hello, everyone!

Yes, I just failed my very first class ever… And, also, I have to give my first supplementary exam ever.

I’ve never, in my whole life, failed a class nor given a supplementary exam, until now, during my third semester in college. I'm not proud about this, not at all, but I just need to let it all out.

The class I have to give the supplementary exam for is Math, and I agree with the fact that I deserve that exam. I’ve been struggling with Math since last semester and I knew I was going to do worse during this one. I try so hard to concentrate and to understand, I really do, but my mind just drifts away as soon as we are 30 minutes in the class. Luckily, I have until Friday to pull myself together and study hard to pass this subject. Hopefully, I will.

Now, the class I failed is Accountancy, and it was NOT my fault AT ALL. The teacher is the worst teacher you could ever meet. He’s not a bad person, no, he’s just an awful teacher. These are the reasons why:

1.- He grades the homework only by checking if we did the same amount of exercises he sent, he doesn’t check the process nor the answer. Meaning that, if he sent 10 exercises and you only did 9, then you get 90/100. It doesn’t matter if they’re correct or awfully wrong, you’ll get the 90/100.

2.- He never explains what you got wrong in a test. You only receive your test with a big X on an exercise and you get no explanation whatsoever. He just tells you to figure it out yourself because “I already taught that”.

3.- He’s not good at explaining things during class… He’s the literal example of this:


And that’s pretty much it… He does other stuff too, but these are the main ones.

The thing is, he’s the only teacher that teaches that level of accountancy and, even though the students from every year complain about him, the authorities do nothing about it. At least 70% of his students fail the class at least once. There are others that have just failed it for the second time.

Most of my classmates have been put to give the supplementary exam but, as it is the compilation of everything we “learned” during the whole semester, there’s a high probability that they will just fail it.

Naturally, I’ve told my parents about this, and I told them that I was going to do badly in these subjects even before the final results came in. They might be a bit upset about it, but they don’t really show it. My brother does: he keeps calling me dumb for failing a class. It doesn’t bother me, really, I know my intelligence is not based on my math or accountancy skills.

I do feel a bit like a disappointment, but I’ll take accountancy next semester and I’ll do better. And I’ll pass the Math supplementary exam.

Have you ever failed a class?
How did you deal with it?

Lots of Love,


- Salha -

3 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sure you'll manage to work it out! Whenever I fail an exam I go into a stage of complete panic, when I get out of it, I spend as much time possible consolidating everything covered in the exam.
    Bad teachers are truly the worse, perhaps create a petition?

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the good wishes!

      We created a petition, and students before us have done so too. The only thing that happens is that the teacher gets transferred to another career for one semester, his new students fail, and then he's returned to our career...

      Delete
    2. Ouch! My dad has always said that I always have to be responsible for my education and even if my teacher is bad, I should still try and understand it. I guess this is partly true and for me it has never been a bad idea to revise a bit more than I usually would. Although I have to say that bad teachers shouldn't stay on and I hope you and the other students find a way around it.

      - Hannah ;)
      Ps - I've just realised that I said 'worse' instead of 'worst'! :/

      Delete